Are you passionate about empowering youth and fostering positive change in communities? The Michaëlle Jean Foundation (FMJF) is seeking an Administrative and Financial Assistant to be a crucial part of our dynamic team. As our foundation supports underserved youth through arts, education, and entrepreneurship, you’ll play a pivotal role in maintaining our financial integrity and ensuring smooth operations. Join us in our mission to inspire a new generation of community leaders and advocates while working in an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment.
Organization Fondation Michaëlle Jean Foundation – FMJF
Employment type Full-time and Hybrid
Location Ottawa, Canada
Reporting Executive Director
Language requirements Fluent in English and French
Closing date for applications September 8, 2023
The Michaëlle Jean Foundation (FMJF) was established in 2011 following the end of the mandate of the 27th Governor General of Canada (2005-2010). The vision of the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean and her husband, filmmaker and philosopher Jean-Daniel Lafond is to offer programs and platforms to underserved youth across the country to be active participants in developing and implementing solutions to challenges in their communities. Through its programs, FMJF supports inclusive youth initiatives and organizations nationwide, leveraging arts, education, and entrepreneurship as tools to create new solutions to pressing social issues and create opportunities for inclusive and constructive dialogues.
We’re driven by passion, optimism and teamwork as we strive to create opportunities for learning, connection, representation, growth, and change – while inspiring new generations of community leaders and advocates.
Work at the FMJF
We are committed to working together to accomplish great things. Our work culture and values are defined by: diversity, equity, inclusion, fun, passion, adaptability, flexibility, teamwork, integrity, accountability, continuous learning, constant improvement, ownership and innovation.
Like all small organizations, you will enjoy being involved in all aspects of the FMJF, but your main responsibilities include:
Working closely with the Executive Director and Bookkeeper on the financial stewardship of the organization:
- Assisting with financial record keeping, accounts payable and receivable, and financial reports.
- Processing donations and issuing charitable tax receipts.
- Assisting with annual Audit and coordinating Audited Financial Statements
- Supporting the Executive Director in drafting Annual Operational Budget
Working collaboratively with the Executive Director on administrative and operational tasks:
- answering and responding to inquiries and communicating messages and information
- coordinating travel arrangements and processing expense claims
- managing phone/internet service providers and other suppliers
- organizing and preparing for meetings, including gathering documents and attending to logistics
You will enjoy an office space to call your own on the days you come in. Our hybrid work environment also supports working from home 2 days per week.
The office is open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday, with onsite weekly staff meetings on Mondays.
While professional development to improve your skills is offered, the following is required:
- A post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate in administration or finance, and/or 3 years minimum experience in a similar administrative role reporting directly to senior management.
- Proficiency in oral and written communications in both official languages
- Strong administrative skills, information management, financial analysis, organizational skills, and excellent time management; detail-oriented.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, including Excel. Experience with QuickBooks is an asset.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, and exemplary professional attitude
- You are resourceful and curious by nature, and someone who is highly organized, self-directed, proactive, and an excellent problem-solver.
- Knowledge of fundraising databases/CRM systems and experience in a charitable organization is an asset.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, your CV, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Administration and Operations Coordinator” in the subject line by September 8. 2023
While FMJF appreciates all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.