Full time, temporary
12-month contract with potential for extension or permanency
English and French
The Fondation Michaëlle Jean Foundation (FMJF) was established in 2011 following the end of the mandate of the 27th Governor General of Canada (2005-2010). The vision of the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean and her husband, filmmaker and philosopher Jean-Daniel Lafond is to offer programs and platforms to underserved youth across the country to be active participants in developing and implementing solutions to challenges in their communities. Through its programs, FMJF supports inclusive youth initiatives and organizations nationwide, leveraging arts, education, and entrepreneurship as tools to create new solutions to pressing social issues and create opportunities for inclusive and constructive dialogues.
We’re driven by passion, optimism and teamwork as we strive to create opportunities for learning, connection, representation, growth, and change – while inspiring new generations of community leaders and advocates.
What is it like to work at the FMJF?
We are committed to the following values that embody our work culture: diversity, equity, inclusion, fun, passion, adaptability, flexibility, teamwork, integrity, accountability, continuous learning, constant improvement, ownership and innovation. We work together to accomplish great things!
Like all small organizations, you will enjoy being involved in all aspects of the FMJF, but your main responsibilities include:
Lead the fundraising initiatives for the Foundation, this person will champion the fundraising committee and the development of the necessary support materials (case for support development for approval of the ED) including the development of an annual fundraising plan, sponsorship and donor acquisition, and stewardship of funder relationships.
Donor Prospect Research and Grants
- Research prospective (and past) donors and corporate supporters for their philanthropic values and alignment with FMJF programs and initiatives
- Develop and execute stewardship plan for past and current donors
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and program staff, and utilizing Yellow Tree’s research and case for support documents, write grant applications (number to be determined following analysis with YT on which they will write, and which will be done internally)
- With the Executive Director, make sponsorship asks in support of the Foundation’s programs and initiatives.
- Track requests and results and ensure strong stewardship of relationships, including writing impact reports.
- Be responsible for prospecting, outreach and facilitating gifts of up to $20K.
- Write briefing notes for the Executive Director and Board members to prepare for meetings with prospective and current donors for gifts of $20K+.
- Provide administrative support in following up on prospect meetings, including tracking follow up items, drafting thank you notes, etc.
- Lead the work of the FMJF Board’s fundraising, including participating in committee meetings, documenting minutes and follow up items.
- With the Executive Director and Operations and Administrative Coordinator, plan fundraising events as required.
- Work with the Foundation’s Operations and Administrative Coordinator to ensure the donor database is updated and administrative duties (including tax receipting and bookkeeping records) are accurate and adhere to CRA regulations
- Work with Communications team to create impact reports for donors and corporate sponsors.
- Work with Programs team and Communications to balance promotional opportunities for programs, sponsors and prospective donors
- Work with the Communications Advisor to imbed individual giving messages In all communication materials (create a culture of philanthropy)
- Work with the Communications Advisor to launch, manage and report on two individual giving direct response campaigns annually.
Our hybrid work environment supports working from home 2 days per week. The office is open from 9 am – 5 pm, Monday-Friday. Alternative work schedules may be considered for the appropriate candidate.
- This position requires someone with strong fundraising fundamentals, including annual direct response campaigns, donor stewardship and corporate asks, alongside a passion for the mission of the FMJF.
- We’re looking for a great communicator who looks at challenges as opportunities, who can comfortably take the reins of a project from concept to fruition, and who is intuitive enough to know how and when to ask for support.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both official languages are essential
- Experience writing and preparing content for a range of audiences and communications channels
- Excellent project coordination and organizational skills with the ability to track and plan numerous concurrent assignments to meet project deadlines, while producing high-quality work
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills and accustomed to working collaboratively within a team environment
- Must be proficient in English and French
- You are passionate about social justice; creative, resourceful and curious by nature; and someone who is highly organized, self-directed and proactive
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, your CV, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Development Advisor” in the subject line by February 8, 2024.
While FMJF appreciates all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.