Come join us at the Michaëlle Jean Foundation, a space dedicated to empowering creative voices and driving social change! As a Senior Communications Advisor, you’ll play a pivotal role in our mission, shaping compelling and engaging narratives that resonate with our diverse audience across Canada. Collaborating with artists, communities and youth, you’ll amplify their positive impact through strategic communications and impactful campaigns. Your creativity and communication expertise will bolster our advocacy for inclusion, diversity, and equality. Join us on this exciting journey to make a difference together!
Salary scale $70,000 – $76,000
Location Ottawa, Canada
Reporting Executive Director
English and French (written, speaking, comprehension)
Closing date for applications
August 15, 2023
The Michaëlle Jean Foundation (FMJF) was established in 2011 following the end of the mandate of the 27th Governor General of Canada (2005-2010). The vision of the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean and her husband, filmmaker and philosopher Jean-Daniel Lafond, is to offer programs and platforms to underserved youth across the country to become active participants in developing and implementing solutions to challenges in their communities.
Through its programs, FMJF supports inclusive youth initiatives and organizations nationwide, leveraging arts, education, and entrepreneurship as tools to create new solutions to pressing social issues and create opportunities for inclusive and constructive dialogues.
Strategic Planning, Marketing and Partnerships
- Provide strategic advice and recommendations to the Executive Director on proactive and measurable communication strategies, and campaigns.
- Act as a liaison with external suppliers including web designers, writers, translators, and photographers.
- Foster synergistic partnerships with like-minded organizations to produce, share and amplify content aligned with our mission and values.
- Monitor the media and the key stakeholders/influencers to identify trends in public opinion, politics and social issues, and provide strategic advice on the positive relationships the Foundation needs to develop and maintain with external stakeholders.
- Oversee the application of the Foundation’s brand and its logos.
- Attend and represent the Foundation at events and activities including conferences, workshops, working groups and outreach activities.
- Manage and create high-quality and timely communications content in both English and French (web content, social media posts, annual reports, press releases, speeches, Equity Mag among others) and coordinate outreach activities to communicate key messages to target audiences.
- Prepare key messages, briefing notes and presentations relevant to the Foundation’s programs, communications and fundraising goals for the Co-Founders and Co-Chairs, Board and staff. Also contribute to writing reports for funding bodies, donors and sponsors, as well as the Foundation’s Annual Report.
- Provide benchmarks, qualitative and quantitative reports on progress against communications objectives.
Liaison with the Office of the 27th Governor General
- Serve as a liaison between the media, the Co-Founders and Co-Chairs, the Executive Director, and/or other spokespersons of the Foundation.
- Provide strategic guidance on the development and protection of the Foundation’s reputation and brand, including identifying speaking opportunities for the Foundation’s leaders.
Supervision and Budget
- Recruit and supervise employees, contract staff, suppliers, and summer students.
- Manage budgets and identify human resources/outsource requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in communications or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Minimum of eight years in areas related to the position (public affairs and media relations, organizational communications strategy, and content creation).
- A solid work experience and passion for youth, arts, or community action and especially in the context of social justice.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
- Extensive knowledge of current communications best practices on digital and traditional platforms (Wix and WordPress especially), in media relations, and in issues management.
- Superior research, writing, and editing skills in French and English
- Creativity, thinking out-of-box and good judgment in addressing both opportunities and issues.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and manage many tasks simultaneously.
- Good understanding of the arts and culture, and racial justice landscape in Canada.
- Ability to assess the shifting political and social context and formulate timely objectives and key messages.
- Strong organizational skills and capacity to work autonomously i.e., ability to effectively set priorities, establish a work schedule, monitor and report on progress in achieving goals and objectives.
- Experience in measuring communications effectiveness and reporting against benchmarks and objectives.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work in a small team.
- Ability to document, analyze and synthesize information.
- Excellent writing, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project-management skills.
- Content creation skills.
- Strong leadership qualities and ability to speak in public.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships, both internally and externally.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently and adapt to constant changes and deadlines.
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Lots of energy and flexibility to work long hours sometimes, including someevenings and weekends.
- Travel required.
APPLICATION BY AUGUST 15 2023
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications for Education and Experience. Please note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information provided in your cover letter and resume.
Please send a cover letter, your résumé, and 2-3 references to email@example.com with “Senior Communications Advisor” in the subject line by August 15, 2023.
While FMJF appreciates all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
FMJF is committed to equity and inclusion and encourages applications from people with disabilities and Black, Indigenous and racialized people.